the ama and msf are putting together a campaign to raise awareness. the ama has a humorous video on their web site. the msf is supposed to be putting videos up on youtube. i'll have to see if i can locate them...
the msf has come up with five rules for staying safe - actually ten rules, five for a motorcyclist and five for cages. here they are:
- get trained and licensed - take an msf ridercourse and get licensed by the department of motor vehicles
- wear protective gear - wear proper protective riding gear, most importantly a helmet made to department of transportation standards
- ride unimpaired - ride unimpaired, never drinking or using other drugs before getting on a motorcycle
- ride within your limits - stay within your personal limits, never riding faster or farther than your abilities can handle
- be a lifelong learner - be lifelong learners, regularly returning for refresher riding courses
- look out for motorcyclists - use your eyes and mirrors to see what’s around
- don't be distracted - hang up and drive, put down the food, the pet, the personal grooming gear, the cd, and the reading material and save it for later
- give two-wheelers some room - don't tailgate or get too close side-by-side
- use your turn signals - signal your intentions. it's also the law
- keep it in the car - don’t throw trash and cigarettes out the window, and securely lash down cargo that can fall out on the road and be a deadly hazard
there ya have it...