Jan 1, 2018

The End...

Seems odd to start the year by ending, but that's exactly what I'm doing.

For the past several years I haven't been in the habit of creating new year's resolutions. Mostly because I don't believe I need a specific date to change my behavior or start a new habit or even give one up. If I want to get in better shape, why is the start of the new year so magical? Why not start in the middle of the year, or the middle of the month. In fact, I've been trying to even get out of the habit of starting on a Monday. Why not Tuesday or Thursday? They're all just as good.

I believe starting whenever I want calls me out on whether I really want to start or change something. It's easy to say I'll start Monday. When Monday rolls around, it's easy to come up with excuses and push it to the next day. Which leads to the next day. And by mid-week I've decided I'll start on Monday. So the cycle continues.

If I say I'll start tomorrow or, better yet, today, it puts me on the spot to actually start. The rubber meets the road. If I'm not prepared to start today or tomorrow, then there's no sense in fooling myself into thinking I'll start Monday.

This doesn't mean I don't have goals set for the year. I have plenty of those: writing more; being more of a motorcycling advocate; making more videos; learning more, both professionally and personally.

Unfortunately for me, I've learned my path to success is by paring down my projects and focusing on one or a two things. The list above is pretty large and while I'd like to do it all, I know I'll be most successful if I only pick a few items to focus my efforts on.

That leads me here... Each year I tell myself I'm going to post more to the blog. I even start lists of topics to post. As you can see from my posting track record, it never really pans out.

I've decided this will be my last post here. At least for the foreseeable future. Maybe I'll decide I want to put the time and effort into starting this up again. Maybe I'll start something new with a different focus, maybe a different medium. I do know this isn't it.

With that, peace...

No comments:

Post a Comment