Mar 20, 2006

i've been riding...

...just haven't been posting much... haven't been on any good long rides lately, so that's probably been affecting my post rate. well, that and work. work has been getting busy lately. but this isn't about my work, it's about my escape from work on my bike!!! unless of course i'm riding to some work related activity - like lunch or the dreaded account meetings...

most of my riding lately has just been around town. to/from the grocery store, the dealership, etc. started to take a longer trip last week, into virginia. but compounding events got in the way and ended the trip early... the plan was to ride down to the dealership to collect a rebate for spending too much money on a new jacket. then i was going up to virginia to pay for my in-laws county sticker. it's an easy hour drive, maybe hour and a half from my house to where i needed to get the sticker. the dealership, which is in the complete opposite direction, is about 45 minutes away. now i had to complete all this before 1:00pm because i had meetings for work. yikes, there i go mentioning work again!!!

to start all this off, i didn't get a good night's sleep because i was stressing over these meetings for work. my afternoon was going to be stacked with them - and i was leading several of them. as i'm not sleeping, i'm thinking being out on the bike is going to be real therapeutic - i'm going to need it... so the morning rolls around and starts off by me leaving late. strike one. i wanted to hit the dealership as soon as they opened so that i could get my bizness done and head up to virginia. my other problem was i didn't consider the time - i'd be riding to the dealership in rush hour traffic. strike two. i get to the dealership - longer than expected, but no longer than i should have expected had i been thinking about what i was doing - and get my rebate. no problems there.

now i head north to virginia. i start calculating the time - will i have time to make it there and back. probably so - it'll be tight, but i can probably do it. wouldn't you know it?? an accident!!! blocking the middle lane, so all the traffic has to divert into the other two lanes... first i can't figure out why it's taking so long to get around the accident. i mean i know it's going to take time, but this seemed ridiculously slow. especially considering there were police directing traffic. so i'm waiting to get around the accident, thinking about my time dwindling away. and my ride being cut short... strike three...

after finally getting around the accident, heading north and figuring the time in my head, i decided i didn't have time to make it there and back in time. i was disappointed, but it was probably the right decision. that last thing i need while i'm on my bike is to feel hurried, stressed or frustrated. i mean being out on the bike is a chance to get away from all that... i show up at home and my wife is wondering what i'm doing there. she asks why i didn't go to virginia. after realizing the time, she agreed that i wouldn't have time to make it...

so - the riding day ended sooner than expected. but i am planning a trip up to virginia next week. an overnight trip. maybe that one will go as expected... i'll let you know...

ride on...

No comments:

Post a Comment