Jan 3, 2006

8092

so, i'm beginning the year with 8092 miles on my bike... not as many miles as i thought; although i'm not sure how many miles i was expecting to put on...

my plans for riding this year include the usual brunch rides, a few trips to motorcycle shows and at least one rally. i also plan on becoming a motorcycle safety instructor, if i'm accepted (which i should learn later this month). i don't know how/why, but i'm thinking becoming an instructor will provide me more opportunity to ride. i'm not sure how much instructing i'll actually do - it probably won't be more than once a month, if that much.

i am planning on riding to sturgis or myrtle beach this year. right now, two factors will influence my ride to sturgis: 1) cost; 2) if someone can talk my wife into going to myrtle beach. if i don't make it to sturgis, i'll be at myrtle. i can't go to both myrtle beach and sturgis - too much time away from the family and time off work. so if my wife decides to go to myrtle, then that's where i'll be!! if not, and it doesn't cost too much, then i'll be riding out to sturgis.

i would really like to make the trip to sturgis - not so much to be at sturgis but for the ride back... my bro and his group are planning to beat feet to sturgis, stay a couple days and then spend the next week and a half riding back - hitting twenty two states in two weeks. sure, it'd be great to be able to look back on day and say i was at sturgis, but being on the road, riding through different states and towns is was gets me going. that's what i really look forward to... it would be even more awesome if i could take my wife along... it will be a few years before we'll be able to take a trip like that. i'm sure we will one day - and it will be more than worth the wait.

my wife has also talked about taking a vacation in the mountains this year. if we do that, which i really hope we manage to swing this year, i'd like to take my bike along. i've dropped hints to her but we'll have to see how that goes...

this year i also plan on doing some self teaching/learning. a guy in colorado developed a self-study course based on the harley davidson police motor course. it was pretty cool that he put it together and is willing to share it for the asking. when i get some free time on the weekends, i plan on running through the exercises. i've looked over the first couple of exercises and am mixed. i want the exercises to be easy. but if they were easy, i wouldn't learn and improve my skills. for example, part of the first lesson consists of only putting one foot down when stopping. one of my fears is dropping the bike when i only have one foot down. but i know it will only benefit me to be able to put one foot down when stopping. so, i'll have to work at it - and work at it quite a bit. with work, reward will follow...

so, those are some of my plans for this year. we'll see how things shape up...

ride safe...

No comments:

Post a Comment